Seniors who plan to stay in their homes can make their lives simpler by investing in a variety of exterior and interior changes to ensure they reside and continue to live in a safe environment. As seniors age, they often find their homes need to be upgraded to suit their changing physical requirements. Planning ahead for possible elder care services and ensuring you or your loved ones live in a safe place should always be part of a plan.
Fortunately, there are many simple, easy-to do home safety improvements to help with the ease of care and reduce future risks of falling or getting injured. Most of these renovations can be done to any home and will help with any current or future senior home care needs.
Safety is the key principal in most universal designs. You do not have to sacrifice style to upgrade your home for respite or other elder care services that you or your loved ones may require.
Simple changes like adding grab bars and rails in the bathrooms or task lighting in the kitchen can aid someone requiring more support in their home and are easy solutions. Other more major renovations may be considered to ensure safety and stability for those seniors living in their home.
First Class Home Care Inc. can help assist you and ensure that you have the best Home Care in Mississauga, Etobicoke and Oakville.
When researching ideas on how to reinvent your home, consider the following:
- Eliminate any front steps to decks and patios so all levels are the same. Install a ramp from the garage floor.
- Widen your front doorway to 42 inches making it wheelchair accessible.
- Choose flooring material that will help avoid unnecessary slips and falls. Low pile carpets are the best choice. Avoid high-gloss finishes on hard wood floors and eliminate area rugs.
- Use base cabinets, pull down drawers and Lazy Susan to store most of your items and reduce overhead reaching.
- Move the master bedroom to the main level.
- Swap out the soaking tub for a walk-in shower.
- Automatic sensors on lights in the bathrooms and use LED lights that allow the eye to adjust a little easier.
- Ergonomic furniture is now available in stylish and comfortable models at many stores across the GTA.
- Purchase and install an emergency call or medical alert system.
- Replace doorknobs with levers.
The team at First Class Home Care Inc. can help you determine the best home renovation plan that fits your budget. Aging is a progression and our expert non-medical in Home Care professionals can help identify what modifications may be necessary in your home. Planning for future respite home care and elder care services is part of the overall life planning process. Our team is experienced with the assistive technologies, products and options available for successful Home Care in Mississauga, Oakville, Etobicoke, Milton and Burlington
Contact us today and we will help you create a safe, cost-effective renovation plan that works specifically for you. Let us help you reinvent your home for the future.